Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sweet and Sour

Boots as a baby
Yesterday was the much anticipated day of the kidding of the zoo babies. The weather was perfect at about 70 degrees. I knew Wedding Belles would kid. She suddenly had that oh my gosh look to her udder and her normally quiet self was yelling at the top of her lungs. I took a half day off to baby watch. Before too long Wedding Belles produced a spotty blue eyed doeling followed by a spotty blue eyed buckling. Easy as pie.

Sweet.

As I was cleaning up from Wedding Belles babies I noticed that Boots was pawing and pacing. Before too long she laid down to push. She hadn't pushed very much
 when she delivered two long front legs and no head. I reach in and found the head way back but could not get the head to stay in the right position to be born. I called my friend and fellow goat farmer who just happens to have very small hands and asked her to please come. She pulled her little girl off the school bus and the two of them flew to my rescue. But alas she had the same problem.
Boots was loaded up in the jeep and rushed to the vet where they tried and tried but to no avail. At least they had drugs to dull her pain and then ultimately put her out of her misery. We delivered the dead kids C Section. These were my zoo babies.
Two spotty blue eyed bucklings....just what I'd ordered.
Sour

Rest in peace my dear little Boots.

Boots a couple of weeks ago


 

13 comments:

petoskystone said...

:*(*** Swift journey Boots & bucklings! Will you be able to replace these bucks with other kids?

Marigold said...

Oh, no. Not Boots. I am SO VERY sorry. (((((((((((((((Wendy)))))))))))))))))))))

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

NO NO NO!!! Not my sweet Boots!!

Oh, I am so sorry. I'm crying over here like she was mine and I only met her once. She was such a sweet little thing - giving me loves and hugs. My little goat farm ambassador.

This sucks.

goatgirl said...

Lindsey, you are thinking of her mother Buttons. Buttons is the farm ambassador. Boots was a nice goat too but didn't go for the hospitality stuff.

Terry said...

I am in tears.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear this. It's always scary when they go into labor.

small farm girl said...

I just hate to hear this. It's aways hard to lose one.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Seriously? I cannot keep anything straight. Someone get me some damn fish oil, the brain is goin'!

I'm relieved Buttons is still around. But sad, sad, sad that Boots is gone. I looked back at my pictures from our visit and remember Buttons now.

Just hold onto your new perfect babies - they are delightful and so very pretty.

Jessica (usually a lurker) said...

Not Boots!!

And her kids.

I am crying at work over this.

I'm so sorry.

goatgirl said...

I accidently deleted your kind comment farmerswife. Sorry and Thank you.

goatgirl said...

Thank you everyone. Just think about it, Boots was one lucky little goat that so many people cared about her. Not many goats can say that!

Karen C said...

I'm so so sorry.

dojuma said...


Nice and lovely