Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Small World or You Meet The Nicest People On The Internet


A few years ago when we first brought the pigs home I had some trouble with them. In my attempted to solve my problem I did what every modern farmer does and got on the internet. Somehow I made my way to The Posh Pig and emailed Cheryl which led to a very long phone call. She explained that pigs, as we know, are very smart animals that mourn the loss of their family and home. Pigs also need to know that you are boss and not afraid of them. Since I was afraid of them it took some good acting on my part to fool them into thinking I wasn't. I kept trying to treat them like dogs and dogs they aint. They are pigs.
Cheryl was so much help and after following her advice the pigs are now two of my favorite girls.
That was a few years ago and I haven't talked to her since so imagine my surprise when I was in Bakersfield at a farmers market with my family and I happened upon a woman selling beautiful soaps. It was Cheryl the pig whisperer in the flesh. I asked her if she remembered me and she did...cuz she's that kind of gal. We chatted awhile about our pot bellied friends and I bought some soap. I made her pose for a picture...cuz I'm that kind of gal.



The pig sisters can thank Cheryl for taking the time to give a stranger she met on the internet advice that allowed them to continue to live "Beyond the Sidewalks"

5 comments:

Marigold said...

Well, now, how serendipitous can you get? As for me, I want 2 pairs of boots like that girl in the first picture has - one for each hoof!

Holly said...

doncha love it when you get to meet someone and they are so wonderful?

One of the things I have never wanted was a pig. Just because of their habits of rooting up everything. No desire. Tho I bet you could make them a "root HERE" place, and train them because they are so smart.

Teresa said...

What a sweet, heartwarming story!

Chai Chai said...

This is a heartwarming story, perfect for the holiday season.

Texan said...

oh your pigs are super!!! My DH will love these photos when I show him!! He wants a Pot Belly pig!!