Sunday, July 19, 2009

Goat Song


I love to read. As a matter of fact, just give me a good book and nothing gets done around here. One day, years ago, my father-in-law came over and seeing a sink full of dishes smiled sweetly and said, "Awww, goatgirl must have a good book."
Then he rolled up his sleeves and started doing the dishes.
I walked over and opened up the cupboard under the sink and said, "Could you do these too?"
I love this story about him and miss that sweet man every day. So Bumpa (that's what we called him), goatgirl had a good book.

I am never one to read a book twice (except for A Tree Grows In Brooklyn) and think a book is meant to be passed around for many to enjoy so I want to share my copy of Goat Song with one of my readers. It is the story of one man's journey of buying goats and making cheese. It is full of goat herding history and if I were to fault it at all it would be that it was a bit quotey...if you know what I mean. As a good friend once said, a little Gandhi can go a long way. I tend to skip over those parts to get to the real life experiences. All in all it is beautifully written and a good summer read for anyone that loves goats. It will make you want to leave everything and head for the hills with your goats in tow.
So leave a comment and you will be entered. I will pick the winner next Sunday.

18 comments:

Terry Golson said...

I just came back from a reading by this author at my local bookstore! After listening to him talk, I so wished he'd brought samples of his goat cheese! (I, too, will be passing my copy along, so don't put me in the contest.) BTW, I'm new to goats - have two, 12- wk old Nigerian Dwarfs. You can see them at goatcam.com.

Anonymous said...

Books and goats are my most favorite things. Put them together...it promises to be magical.

I'd love to read it :)

dina said...

Please count me in! Someday there will be goats in my life, darn it all! We keep planning, scrimping, strategizing, hoping... One day!

Thank you!

Helaine said...

I have just finished reading a book about chickens in england it is really a fun book. I got it from the kitsap library but you might be able to check it out at a Pierce county library?

Hen and the art of chicken maintennance by Martin Gurdon

Put me on the list to read the book too.

Heidi said...

you dont read a book twice??? I have a smutty novel that I re-read monthly!! LOL I DO!!!!

goatgirl said...

Terry, What a coincidence! I would have loved to have heard his talk. Shhh don't tell him what I said about the quotey part. For the most part it is a beautiful book that almost has a fragrance...if you know what I mean.
I went to the goatcam and must say it was very fun...except for the close up of the goat bum. I was watching and thinking,"What is that?" Then it dawned on me what it was and I had to laugh. I also saw your legs when you went in to feed them some cuttings. What beautifully marked goats. You will have so much fun with them.

Everyone...check out goatcam.com It is a caprine reality show.

Carolyn, It is a very magical book! Good Luck!

Dina, I hope you realize your dream and get some goats...then you will be wondering why you wanted them. Especially when they are rubbing their horn scurs on the side of your car:)
Good Luck.

Helaine, That does sound like a book I would love. I like fun!
Good Luck!

Shame on you Heidi...you crack me up. Good Luck to you too.

Terry Golson said...

Not only do you see their butts, but you also seem them poop, a lot! But that's the reality of having goats, isn't it? :)

Unknown said...

I love to read too, so this story really hit home. What a great website.

Tracylea
slink@att.net

frugalmom said...

I have read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. In fact, I think I have it downstairs.

That is a very sweet memory you have of your FIL.

Marigold said...

I can read. But if I win the book I will have to keep Ella from eating it.

Melinda said...

I would LOVE the book!! AND I promise to pass it on when Im finished with the continued promise of passing it on..

brokenteepee said...

It sounds like a great book. Count me in, although I have two books that I read regularly; The Count of Monte Cristo and Gone with the Wind. At least once a year.

Will check out goatcam.

And goats poop endlessly, don't they? But my garden does grow!

Stephanie said...

Now that you know how to make goat cheese, is your fear of eating it gone?

goatgirl said...

Goldilocks, Yes!

Tracey said...

Please enter me. I love to read, and I wish I was able to have goats!
Thanks for sharing,
Tracey

Heide said...

Please enter me into your book drawing! I love to read and find it absolutely impossible to fall asleep without a book. My mom raised goats while I was growing up, which is part of the reason I love coming to your blog. I think she'd enjoy this too. Cheers!

D. Wayne said...

This sounds like a wonderfful book. Please enter me in the drawing.

Diana said...

I would love to be included in this too! I love my goats and the milk they give. I have some goat's milk Feta draining in the kitchen as I type this. :)