Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas Came Early


Meet Willow. Her owner is moving to Germany and needed to find homes for her llamas and alpacas. This morning Hubby and I went to look at her near Auburn. She lived at a beautiful old estate straight out of the pages of Jane Eyre. Running wild in a huge pasture she was suspicious of us from the start. She came right up to see what we were doing but decided we were up to no good so stayed out of our reach.We finally cornered her in the garage and got her rope and halter on and then without letting go we headed for the door. When we walked out the door all hell broke loose. She bucked and flailed with Hubby holding tight to the rope. He hung on for dear life, knowing that if he let go we would never catch her again nor see our halter and rope. I'll I could do was say "Oh...Oh...Oh" as he was thrown around the pasture on the end of a lead rope attached to a llama that was stronger than we thought.
He hung on until she gave up and we got another hold on her. Cradling her in our arms we walked her to the gate and into the trailer. She settled in and kushed next to the hay bales we put in to limit her space. She hit her mouth when throwing herself around so a little blood was dripping but it didn't look too serious.
Home we went and backed the trailer right up to the gate so we wouldn't have to repeat the rodeo. Hubby doesn't think he wants to be a cowboy.
She stayed in the trailer looking out the door for a long time taking in all the animals and smells.



She is beautiful and in excellent health. She is very curious about the goats and they are curious about her.







I'm going to have to do a lot of lovin' on her to make up for the awkward start.

18 comments:

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Wow! What cool coloring! I'm glad you got a new llama - you didn't get her from Eva Valley Alpacas, did you? I know they are trying to sell their farm and they are right near Auburn!

And This Little Pig said...

She is beautiful, and with time and love, she will settle in. What and unusual colouring, very very very pretty.
LiBBiE in Oz

IsobelleGoLightly said...

She's beautiful!!! Welcome Willow!

Terry Golson said...

Congratulations! Her markings make her look like she's wearing a scarf. So pretty. Age? Did you pick her out of the group for a reason or did the owner know you'd be the right match? Clicker training (I'd suggest targeting) should make the getting-to-know you stage go faster. So sorry you won't have a new manna barn to put her in. Somehow that will happen, though, I just know it.

petoskystone said...

Welcome, Queen Willow! She's gorgeous:) Quite the attitude...don't think coyote stand a chance.

goatgirl said...

Lindsey-No she didn't come from there.

Libbie-I was surprised at her coloring because I had only seen a picture of her brown side.

Thanks IsobelleGoLightly

Terry, She is not quite two and there were only two llamas there. The other was a male and I kind of wanted a young female this time. The owner knew nothing about llamas and just had them to keep down her pastures and get some sort of tax break if she ran livestock.I knew she was untrained but planned on putting my training skills to the test on a totally different animal. I do plan on clicker training. Can't wait for her to settle in so I can start.
Yea, too bad about the barn. I'm trying not to be too disappointed. I told Hubby that I was going to have a makeover party and everyone that viewed my video had to come and work on the farm:)

petoskystone-I hope I can tame that attitude.

Michaele said...

A wonderful addition! Good luck to you all.

Chai Chai said...

She is beautiful, wonderful coloring. She will fit right in with your beautiful goats.

petoskystone said...

Well, if nothing else, to focus that attitude where it belongs...driving off potential threats! I'll be interested to read of the training process.

Marigold said...

Wow! She is beautiful! If anyone can tame her down, it will be you. :) Maybe she likes Peanuts. What do you think? :) Is she smaller than Koo? She looks small in the trailer picture, but then that is without legs.

goatfarmer said...

Way to GOAT4IT, Keith!

Holly said...

She is beautiful Wendy! I remember Sue eh? writing about a llama they got in that didn't like to be messes with. She used the ability to make people "go away" as the reinforcer for her clicker training.

Good luck with her, I'm sure Willow just has not realized what a good thing she has come to yet!

frugalmom said...

Oh Wendy! She is gorgeous!!! I am so happy for you. And for her! I know she will love it at your place....hmmmm...all the more incentive for me to pay a visit....I think she needs to be welcomed by a yodel...what do you think? :-)

goatgirl said...

Yodel ay heee hooo!

goatgirl said...

Marigold, she is small now but she is not yet two so I think she will grow some more.
She has yet to discover the joy of snacking.

goatgirl said...

Holly, refresh my memory...that sounds familiar but I can't remember the details.

Teresa said...

She is very beautiful. I hope she settles down.

Millie said...

She doesn't look at all cranky like our llama.