Monday, October 13, 2008

One Trick Pony

I would like to take this opportunity to update you on Sunny. After being inspired by commenter Holly to pick up my rusty clicker and give it a try on an indifferent little horsey, I cut up some carrots and gave it a go. I have trained all my dogs with a clicker and use to teach clicker training at our local civic center so I understand it pretty well. I just didn't think about trying it with Sunny. He took to it right away. What a smart little guy. We are working on come, whoa, back and even heel. Yes, heel. Just like my doggies. He is getting the hang of it. And through this we are getting to know each other one click at a time. Every day we do a grooming session that he doesn't particularly like but is learning to tolerate. He gets his back thighs massaged, which he doesn't particularly like.....but is learning to tolerate. And he gets a few minutes of clicker training. Which I think he does kind of like.
Now his back legs still concern me. Although not lame, there is a lot of crinkling and popping going on back there. I think next month after I get paid I'll get the vet out to float his teeth and give him a look even though I don't think there is much that can be done for him. I know enough about structure and I think the best thing for him would be to get him to a place comfort wise so he can build some muscles around those joints and tighten things up. Just like me!
But lucky for him he doesn't have to do much at my place but look pretty(he's got that cornered) and do a few tricks(working on it).

8 comments:

Holly said...

smile.

I am so glad you decided to pull out that clicker. He will improve quickly and you will be hard pressed to keep up with his learning curve!

Good on ya!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Thanks for the Sunny update :)

I'm whinnying LOUDLY over here for you and Sunny!!

Way to go with the clicker training. Such a great way to bond and build up your horse-human relationship, too.

I can't wait until you upload video of your trick pony in action like Pamela, over at On Clinch Mountain did recently with her talented sheep, MaMaat!

Danni said...

I just KNEW you were going to be the best mama for Sunny. Way to go. I'm looking forward to more Sunny updates :-)

ChicagoGrrrl said...

i think that muscle tone, getting in shape will help Sunny. you spending time with him and his life settling down into something good will do wonders for him and his appreciation of you.

Gone2theDawgs said...

Wow, can I EVER identify with Sunny with the crinkling and popping in the legs! I'm glad you're feeling better about Sunny and I can't wait to see your progress with him!

Tracey said...

We learn so much for our fellow bloggers!
I am so happy to hear that Sunny and you are making progress, and I hope his back legs get better.

Tami Weingartner said...

Tag your it!

Please read my 10/15 blog for the rules to the '6 Quirks' game.

Embrace your inner freak!

Holly said...

Good news! You've been tagged at my blog!

www.themares.blogspot.com