Saturday, August 2, 2008

I Smell Horse

As we drove down the white-railed country drive, I stopped, stuck my head out the window and said to my neighbor, "I smell horse."

I love that smell.

A pony was the first thing my dad bought us when we moved to the country in 1966 and I have been with a horse more than without one my whole life. I lived on the back of a horse as a child. It has only been in the last couple of years we have been without some sort of equine.

I am lucky enough though to be surrounded by horsey friends. My neighbor, who also grew up on a horse, and I were going to a drill team performance at a nearby farm to watch our friend. She has been involved in The Irish Glen Drill Team for a couple of years now. Made up of about 10 women, they meet once a week at an idyllic farm with a kick ass arena. Did I sat that?


Here is a picture of my friend and her horse "Ren"........



Now Ren......let's just say he has been a challenge and made my friend earn this day. I remember saying to her at some point, "Why don't you find another horse?"

She got this sweet, sappy look on her face and said, "But he's my baby."

Here is her baby.......Isn't he handsome?


Let this be a lesson. Never listen to my advice. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I didn't get any pictures of the drill team because I couldn't use a flash and couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Don't ever make me the official photographer of anything.
So I'll have to tell you about it.
As the first two horses came out to the music, carrying the American flag, I got a tear in my eye. Put music to anything and I will cry. But I quickly composed myself because I didn't want my neighbor to think me deranged.
We enjoyed a wonderful display of women in tune with their horses. My friend's Ren was a perfect gentleman. He was calm and relaxed, listening for the next cue. He effortlessly moved in to the smoothest lope and seemed to really be enjoying himself.
When I saw her after to tell her how much we enjoyed it she said,

"Did you see when he didn't go into the canter?"
"Yes," I said. "He was pooing."
Behind her back.

She said,"Oh was that what he was doing? I guess he did good then because usually he stops when that happens."
You try pooing as you are transitioning from trot to canter, smoothly, with a lot of people watching. I'd say he was sensational. I was so proud of all my friend's hard work and, for a second there, I wanted another horse to join this fun drill team. Then I could come and ride at this farm once a week.
Here is a picture of my friend and her horse with my neighbor in the background shopping for a horse.

As we drove home lost in our thoughts my neighbor said, "Man, when they came into the arena with the flag I shed a tear.

She's deranged.

9 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awwww, you two are such mushies! hehe
(I'd have shed a tear or two, as well!) Like you, add the right music and a clown removing his makeup might even make me cry! haha!

I love the smell of horse, too. I sink my face in tight to Baby Dolls flank and mane, and just breathe deep! It's probably one of my most favorite scents. :)

We were at the Arabian Youth Nationals last night and a number of horses had to poo during their turn. I was impressed that most of them didn't even miss a beat.
Humans could never do that. That's why we have to sit to poo. haha!

Your friend looks really nice. She's got it bad for Ren, eh? I can see why. He's HANDSOME!

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures.

Kim said...

Found your blog and like it. I also live on a farm. We have horses, cows, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, and a rabbit. I will be back to visit.
Enjoy,
Kim in OK

Marigold said...

Okay, well, horses are okay, but goats are much, much better in my opinion. :)
As an aside to Kim in OK...the goatmother is a born and raised Okie. :)

goatgirl said...

twinville,I will tell my friend you said that....wait a minute I bet she'll read it. Yes Ren is a handsome, sweet boy.

Thanks Amy!

Welcome Kim from Oklahoma. I was there once. I could surely have my big farm there!
Thanks for stopping by.

I knew there was something wonderful about the goatmother. She's an Okie!
Stay cool Marigold. The weather's warming up.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just found your blog through "Chickens in the Road".

I'm Remudamom, but my computer just won't do this type of blog, so I have to be anon.

My Arabian refuses to move and poo at the same time. Can't convince her. This is bad when you're loping.

Did I see Aussies??

goatgirl said...

Hi Remudamom, Welcome to my blog. No you didn't see Aussies. They are Shelties. I am going to post about them soon since I haven't so far. Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you enough how much I LOVE your blog!!! Thank you for writing!! I too love the smell of horse, and can sniff it out miles away! I can still remember the smell of my "first love"- a horse, of course! ;) AJ. No other horse will ever smell that good!

Anonymous said...

I recently started taking riding lessons in the city I live in, and, remembering how fantastic my horse always smelled, I proceeded to bury my face into my lesson horse's neck and breathe deeply. He moved, looked at me like I was a psychopath, and I swear rolled his eyes! I laughed and told him I'd ask before doing that again! ;)