I saw this ad on Craigslist and loved it so much I had to post it.....author unknown
Ok, so I was a wee bit ambitious when I ordered chicks from McMurray. Twenty five chick minimum order- no problem I thought even though I really wanted only 2 or 3. Why not get a rainbow layer assortment, pick the ones I want, and then sell the rest? So I did, but there were a couple of problems with this plan: 1. McMurray sent me 30 chicks (sure I agreed to take a free rare chick, but what were the other 4, stowaways?) so now I definitely have WAY too many pullets, 2. I am new to chickens, and therefore somewhat clueless when attempting to determine what breeds my chicks are. So, with that in mind, I have the following for sale. All pullets were raised on organic feed, vaccinated for coccidiosis, and given chick-quick vitamin for the first 3 weeks of life. They are now 6 weeks old, eating organic grower, and longing for the great outdoors. Ten dollars each or 3 for 25 (If you think this is too much, you try running around town tracking down organic chick start, changing water 3 times a day, making sure your girls are at the proper temperature, and dealing with tons of chick doodle, before you judge me).
1. 3 white ones (Brittany, Paris, Nicole). 2 big ones (I think white rocks) and 1 smaller one (pearl leghorn?).
2. 2 black ones (Little, Big) Not sure of breed, maybe black minorca? I think they are too small to be Australorpes, but could be sexlinks. One is much larger than the other.
3. Can’t decide between black and white? That’s ok, cause I have 3 Silver Spangled Hamburgs (Gretchen, Heidi, Trudi), that are BOTH black and white! They also have lovely blue legs- just like grandma.
4. 1 Egyptian Fayoumi (Fatima). Unique and lovely but like Greta Garbo, she wants to be left alone.
5. 4 Buff larger chickens (Kim, Beyonce, Jennifer, Gwen). Big puffy butt chickens. I think 3 buff orpingtons and a buff rock (legs look yellow)
6. 2 buff smaller chickens (Jennifer and Courtney) Less junk in the trunk than above- buff minorcas?
7. 1 Cuckoo Maran (Collette). She’s pretty, she’s French, and she’ll lay chocolate colored eggs! Does it get any better than this?
8. 1 White Crested Polish (Christina): Girl with a perpetual bad hair day.
9. 1 Naked Neck (Vulture girl). She’s big, she’s all black, and has attitude. If you want to scare your neighbors with a chicken that looks like a freak of nature, she’s your girl. A perfect match for a home with a Chinese Crested or Mexican Hairless dog.
10. Big white breasted brown chicken (Americauna?) (St Mary of Espresso- she looked she had a cross on her breast when younger).
Cash only please. These are intended to be LAYING chickens, who aspire to happy and productive lives in the backyard providing entertainment for your cat and manure for your garden. I’ve attempted to raise them humanely, though I confess in an effort to get them used to voices, I have let them listen to KOMO 1000, so they have been listening to Mariners games which some might consider a form of torture……