Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle...Revisited

I have finished reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and for the second time Barbara Kingsolver has changed my way of thinking. I wonder if she knows what an impact her writing has on people's lives? The first time was when I read Poisonwood Bible, for reasons I won't go into, and now with Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I found it a very enjoyable read. It is full of facts on food and stories about her adventures eating locally for a year. I must admit I didn't like her husband and daughter's parts in the book. Neither have her wordsmith abilities and I found them downright boring and skipped over them just to get back to Barbara. I plan on reading the book again so maybe will give them another try.
I have really taken this eating locally to heart. I am now buying much more local food like milk, cheeses, potatoes and anything else I could find. But I was on a mission to find locally grown, organic beef. A few years ago, I read an article in our local paper about a family that raised organic beef in a small town nearby called Home. Yes, Home, Washington. Isn't that quaint?
I was interested then but never did anything about it until now and now I couldn't find their phone number. But in the mail the other day was a community ad flyer and there they were Everett Family Farm. Dean Everett and his family raise Reg. Red Poll cattle on their farm in Home and sell organic, humanely raised, USDA inspected beef. I went to his shop in town and met this white haired, sightly absentminded friendly guy that I was happy to give my business to. I bought the Family Pack and brought it home to my freezer took out 2 T-bone steaks and barbecued them up for my Doubting Thomas. They were the best steaks I have had anywhere, anytime, anyhow! Doubting Thomas ate his words right along with his sauteed onions.
It feels great doing my part in reducing my carbon footprint and supporting my local farmers. And in the bargain I get healthier better tasting food.

I wonder what else Barbara will talk me into.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY for you!! We had the same experience when we bought our first local, grass fed and orgainc beef and pork last spring. Delicious! Even if we hadn't been opposed to factory farmed meat for other reasons, we would never go back just on taste/quality alone!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. We have a little store in town that sells local grass fed beef at a very reasonable price.
I am still going to read that book, just as soon as I get time.